On the 20th I got James Tiptree Jr.'s Crown of Stars. Another one of those butt-ugly covers. Ugh. I haven't read any of her books so far, so I'll be starting with this short story collection with some of her late works.
Yesterday I drew Carson McCullers' The Ballad of the Sad Cafe, a recommendation from somebody who had seen that I had liked Capote's The Grass Harp and thinks I might enjoy this one as well.
Today I got a book with collected texts from my favorite columnist, Max Goldt. Although the title suggests that this is an English book, it is not. He always has the strangest titles. Here are some of the weirdest ones:
- "The ashtray gymnastics" (Die Aschenbechergymnastik)
- "Bilingually educated bisexuals with bicycles on their car tops" (Zweisprachig erzogene Bisexuelle mit Fahrrädern auf dem Autodach)
- "A life on the run from the coral" (Ein Leben auf der Flucht vor der Koralle)
- "On the magic of passing something sideways" (Vom Zauber des seitlich dran Vorbeigehens)
- "Naked in a fairytale castle full of really bad people" (Nackt in einem Märchenschloß voll wirklich schlechter Menschen)
Needless to say that I adore him.
You can find my other posts about the Book Advent Calendar here: